- Oscar 2022 is one of the memorable and controversial events.
- The show saw Timothée Chalamet starrer Dune winning six awards, followed by CODA winning three.
- Despite the controversy, Will Smith won the best actor award.
Oscar 2022 was held in March, and people still don’t know if Will Smith is going to apologize to Chris Rock. Nevertheless, like every year, the 94th Academy Awards was something to watch. Instinctively, maintaining the record of every year, several beautiful movies made it to the list while some of them lifted the trophy. This year saw many new names starting from Kristen Stewart for her portrayal of lady Diana in the movie Spencer. Whereas Andrew Garfield made his second-time nomination for Tick, Tick… Boom!
Interestingly, we knew that Will Smith and Jessica Chastain earned the Best Actor and Actress, respectively. Notably, director Jane Campion became the first director to receive more than one best director nomination. Eventually, she won the best director award for the movie The Power Of Dog. Moreover, The Power Of Dog made it to 10 nominations for a directed by Woman. Not to forget that Kristen Stewart and Ariana DeBose became two openly LGBT actors to have been nominated in the same year. Oscar 2022 is indeed critical and controversial of all time. While many critics criticized the event, it struck 16.6 million viewers.
Every year there have been a lot of predictable rumors about winners and nominees. Not only they are often the question of the top chat show. But the guests starring are asked or hinted at winning Oscars. This year too, we saw some of the events like Billie Eilish, who sang No Time To Die for the James Bond movie was speculated to win and even hinted at winning the best song after the year. Nevertheless, the question followed the interaction about Adele’s new album and her win for the James Bond song Skyfall at the Academy Awards. Well, some of the speculations did manifest, and Billie became the first 21st-century-born artist to win an Oscar in 2022.
Oscar 2022 honored the best films released between March 1 and December 31, 2021. Further, the event took place at Dolby Theatre in Los Angeles on March 27, 2022. Regina Hall, Amy Schumer, and Wanda Sykes hosted the show. The show rose with Timothée Chalamet starrer Dune winning six awards, followed by CODA winning three.
Jane Campion – The Power of the Dog
- Kenneth Branagh – Belfast
- Ryusuke Hamaguchi – Drive My Car
- Paul Thomas Anderson – Licorice Pizza
- Steven Spielberg – West Side Story
- Don’t Look Up
- Drive My Car
- King Richard
- Licorice Pizza
- Nightmare Alley
- The Power of the Dog
- West Side Story
- Javier Bardem
- Benedict Cumberbatch
- Andrew Garfield
- Denzel Washington
- Olivia Colman
- Penélope Cruz
- Nicole Kidman
- Kristen Stewart
Hold on! There is more we have got to offer this year. Apart from the slap controversy that overshadowed the ceremony, becoming Oscar History, there are a few interesting facts to be looked at. Yes, not supposedly, that Olivia Colman and Jessie Buckley become the third person to be nominated for the same role. Indeed both actresses played the same character Leda Caruso in the film The Lost Daughter. While the previous playing older and later the younger self. Moreover, these are a few additional facts to the list.
- Drive My Car is the 14th non-English-language film to receive the best picture nomination.
- DeBose became the first Afro-Latina actress. And also an openly queer actor of color to win the Best Supporting Actress for her performance in West Side Story.
- Cate Blanchett became the first female actor to have roles in nine Best Picture nominees. She surpassed Olivia de Havilland’s record of eight.